This week (15th-19th May) is Mental Health Awareness Week. Did you know that sewing can have a positive impact on our mental health? There are several ways such as increasing mindfulness, boosting self-esteem, and providing social connections. Who knew sewing could be self-care?!
- Sewing can provide a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. Completing a project, no matter how small, can help boost self-esteem.
2. Providing community and support. Whether you’re part of an online sewing community or you get together with your quilting group every month. These communities provide a support group of like-minded people and can combat loneliness.
3. The repetitive nature of sewing can be both meditative and calming.
4. Sewing can give you purpose and meaning, particularly when sewing for others or for a cause.
5. Sewing can promote a sense of control and order.
6. It can also foster gratitude and appreciation for handmade items and the effort that goes into creating them.