I always struggle to find original presents for the men in my life so I decided that this year, I would make sets of rainbow Liberty hankies for them. This is a really easy project to whip up just before the festive season and is great for using up left over fabric from other projects.
I used up lots of Liberty pieces of fabric from other projects and then used a few extra fabrics from the studio to complete the colours in the rainbow. I’ve made these hankies for the men so have tried to use prints I thought they would like. I’ve snuck a few girly florals in there too – I think you can get away with it for hankies don’t you think?
I’ve used the following fabrics for my rainbow Liberty hankies:
Yellow – Maddock – the yellow fabric – buy yellow Liberty fabrics here
Teal – Glenjade
This is a really simple project and you can make 1 of these hankies in probably about 10 minutes.
- Cut 16″ (40.5cm) square of your choice of fabric from each of the rainbow colours.
- Press 0.5cm and then another 0.5cm on 1 side – pin.
- Work around the fabric and repeat step 2 on each side, neatly folding in the raw edge ends.
- Machine sew around all 4 sides of the hanky.
- Package your finished hankies in order of rainbow colours to make a lovely gift.
You could make these for ladies or children too – there is such a huge range of Liberty fabrics to choose from.
Happy Christmas sewing!